The tree diagram is one of the 7 Management and Planning Tools
described by Shigeru Mizuno. It is used to figure out all the
various tasks that must be undertaken to achieve a given
objective. If you use it carefully and thoroughly, it will give
you a better understanding of the true scope of a project, and
will help your team focus on specific tasks that are needed to
get something done.
To successfully build a tree diagram:
- Be sure everyone agrees on main goal before beginning.
- Be succinct.
- Think of the main tasks involved in accomplishing the goal.
Add them to the tree.
- For each task node, think of the sub-tasks that will be
required, and add them to the tree.
- Ask yourselves if there is anything that has been
- As you work through the project, towards the goal, change the
colors of nodes that are finished, so that you can see an
indication of progress.